This recipe is an amalgamation of many biryani flavors that were floating in my mind in the beginning phase. They were: the biryani my mom used to make when I was a child with regular rice (she calls it biryani, but my dad wouldn't. He would call it a biryani, only when it's made with basmati rice). Next, Tadipatri biryani was on my mind. I tasted it when my relative carried it all the way from Rayalseema. Third, the biryani I had at my friend's place. Hafsa's household almost relished biryanis every week. They prefer to make their biryanis with regular rice instead of basmati, and I'm always happy to have it in any form 😋. Hopefully, we'll do a post on it soon. Fourth was the combination of just the bagara (we call it color rice) with chicken.
Finally, after finishing the recipe and tasting the dish, the clarity sprung. From ayomayam recipe to homestyle chicken biryani. Also, it gave me some countryside vibes, so Palleturi chicken biryani as well :). This dish doesn't go by the rules, it's here to make you and your tummy happy!
To make this recipe, you'll need :
Chicken marination :
Chicken - 1kg
Red chilli powder - 2 Tablespoons
Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
Ginger garlic paste - 4 Tablespoons + 1 Tablespoon
Curd - 10 Tablespoons
Mint - a handful
Coriander leaves - a handful
Lemon juice - 1 1/2 Tablespoons + 1 Tablespoon
Salt - 1 Tablespoon
Green Chillies - 3 (slit)
Biryani masala powder - 1/2 Tablespoon
(This is made of equal quantities of green cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves)
Chicken cooking Process :
Oil - Slightly less than 1/2 cup
Shah jeera - 1 teaspoon
Bay leaf - 3
Cinnamon - 2
Cloves - 4
Green cardamom - 3
Mace - 2
Star anise - 2
Onions (sliced) - 3 medium
Ginger garlic paste - 1 Tablespoon
Tomatoes - 2
Rice - 700g (4 glasses)
Water - 7 1/2 glasses
Salt - 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons (or) to taste
(check for taste and add)
Mint - a little
Coriander leaves - a little
Lemon juice - 1 Tablespoon
Ghee - 1 Tablespoon
1. Marination of the chicken. One can also directly get into the chicken cooking process but, I wanted to marinate and proceed further.
|Red chilli powder|
|Ginger garlic paste|
|Biryani masala powder|
|Mix well and marinate.|
Chicken cooking process :
1. Add oil.
2. Add the whole spices and let them swell in the hot oil.
3. Add the sliced onions.
4. Once the onions turn translucent, add the ginger garlic paste.
5. When they turn golden brown, add the marinated chicken. Give it a good mix and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
6. Now, when the chicken is half cooked, add the quartered tomatoes and the remaining chilies.
Mix well and cook until tender.
7. Transfer the chicken pieces to a separate plate and add the water to cook the rice which has been soaking for an hour or so.
(One can also skip this and add the water directly, add the rice, and cook). I like it this way, to separate the cooked chicken and unite them towards the end.
8. Wait for the water to come to a rolling boil and add the rice.
9. Now, check for salt, and add as per your taste.
10. Once the rice is nearly done, add the chicken pieces on top, followed by mint leaves, coriander leaves, lemon juice, and ghee.
10. Cover it and cook on dum for 5 minutes by placing a tawa on the bottom to be singe-free.
You're homestyle chicken biryani is readyyyy!!
Thank you for visiting Blessy's Kitchen 😀.
See you soon.